Saturday, October 13, 2007

Mexico

















Ahhh vacation...

I just got back from a family vacation in Akumal, Mexico, located about an hour and a half south of Cancun. It was quite a trip. My parents, my sister and her family, my brother and his wife and I (10 of us in all) headed south of the border for a week of sun, rain, beach, pool, snorkeling, good food, and rest.
It was a perfect time to go. The resort was nearly empty. There were about 100 people staying at the Akumal Beach Resort, which made us 10% of the guests there. It was like having a private resort. It was nice. On the plane I sat next to a guy who's been a state prison guard in Oregon for the past 20 years. He told me one or two crazy stories and made the point that everyone should visit a state prison because so much of our tax money goes there. Next family vacation...state prison.
















This was the view from our room. It rained a fair amount while we were there, but as you can see it was still gorgeous. The nice thing was that the rain was a warm rain and we could still snorkel or swim even if it was raining.


Mimi, Tamara, Eric | Mom and Lydia

The resort we were at had archery. Micaiah is a pro.
















Okay, yes, we all know Cheryl is an alcoholic. That established, one of the greatest things about staying at a resort is the alcohol is "free." Here's my sister Kris and I enjoying some margarita action. It was nice to be able to try so many different drinks without paying a kajillion dollars each for them.
















One day we went snorkeling in this lagoon not too far from the resort. I couldn't get a picture of his head but this here is Mr. Eel chillin' among the rocks at the edge of the lagoon. We were all grossed out for about 2 seconds then we just started talking about unagi. My family and food are just inseparable.

And speaking of food, here's me with a Magnum, the BEST ice cream bars in the world that you can only find outside the U.S.
Michael Vick has illegal dog fighting rings...The Owyoung family has illegal hermit crab racing rings. Step 1: Find hermit crabs on the beach. Step 2: Create racing boundaries. Step 3: Race hermit crabs. Step 4: Realize hm, my family is crazy.

(That family picture didn't turn out too great but it's the only copy I have) It was a great trip; I was bummed my little brother couldn't have come too. It was a great time to have fun, relax, and think. I am so thankful for such a great vacation. I am incredibly and unfairly blessed.

(pardon the formatting errors...I don't know what happened and I'm too lazy to fix it)

4 comments:

James said...

What a delightful family. Oh, and did you change your hair?

cheryl said...

yeah, i have bangs now. have YOU changed your hair? hm probably not.

Mikey said...

i saw 3 moral eels while i was snorkeling in japan. crazy!

cheryl said...

whoa no way! hope you're doing well, Mikey. i hear you have a gf now. :)