Thursday, December 27, 2007

It's okay to look...at something other than these commercials

In general, I think online relationship/dating websites are sketchy, but that aside, what the heck is with those match.com commercials??

If you've seen them, you already know what I'm talking about. If you only watch PBS or you're one of those anti-TV snobs and haven't seen them, the commercials are basically a single continuous shot of a reasonably attractive individual smiling and chuckling at the camera. No dialogue. Then at the end of the commercial "It's okay to look" and then "match.com" are thrown up on the screen. I guess someone thought the concept was a good idea because well, the commercials air on national television, but I have no idea what the commercials are trying to communicate, plus I think they're just plain awkward. Are they laughing at someone? With someone? Are they themselves looking for someone? Are they the hotties us unattractive people can only hope for? One of the above! All of the above! None of the above! Who knows?? The viewer must simply endure 15 seconds of discomforting semi-silence. Furthermore, the assumed goal is to get the viewer to go to match.com and do whatever it is they want you to do there. But there is nothing inherently motivating in these commercials. I don't think many/any people jump off their couches onto their computers to check out the website after seeing these ads. Or maybe they do...?

Changing gears to a Cheryl's thoughts mashup...

Christmas was good time spent with the family. Hiking is fun, I should do it more often. Pakistan is not in good shape. "Once" is a really really good movie with good music (that Ireland place puts out some great musicians). It's going to be hard getting back into a regular sleep schedule when work starts up again.

5 comments:

EMOH- said...

Seriously! I am really freaked out by them because of their magazine ads which promote signing your friends up for the website.

I saw this ad where some couple is about to make out in a library. The text? If Joe and Jane's friends hadn't signed them up for match.com, then they never would have realized that they like books and like finding private corners... or something. I don't remember the exact words, but it was awkwardly suggestive. Bleh!

cheryl said...

hahaha

it's definitely a sign of true friendship to sign friends up for match.com. "hey friend! you're a loser who can't get a real date! i'll sign you up for match.com!"

Vivian said...

Heey. Cool beans on the wedding. I'm driving back on Thursday, ugh. My brother never said he had class on Friday, so I'm stuck going back early :(
Anything planned for the rest of your break? Crazy New Years party?

Once! I love that movie so much.

James said...

Everybody knows it's all about eHarmony.com anyway.

cheryl said...

hahahaha. That's exactly the point I was trying to make, James. Thanks for putting that out there.